Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Chapter Six

The next morning the two women awakened early, and Amanda prepared a light breakfast while Beth dressed for her day at the store.  Amanda knew she would go back to the schoolhouse to make sure everything was put away and clean before she gave the key back to Mr. Perkins.  She intended to do that this morning.
“Mandy, I think some people are suspecting that something might be going on with Mr. Zimmerman.  They may even suspect that we are supposed to get married.  I heard several people make remarks last night about my working at the store.  I guess it is a good thing if it keeps people from being suspicious about all the time I have spent in town lately.”
Amanda had not thought about what people might think about Beth working in the store.  She knew that Mr. Zimmerman seemed glad for her help, and she wondered if he was fueling the rumors.  She could not believe that many would suspect that as young a girl as Beth would marry middle-aged Mr. Zimmerman.
Beth was soon on her way to the store.  Amanda washed the dishes and straightened the cabin before going over to the schoolhouse.  She unlocked the door and spent the morning cleaning and storing supplies and books that would be needed for the new teacher.  Several hours later, she made her way to the door.  Turning, she looked at the classroom for one last time.  Tears came to her eyes as she remembered the happy times she had spent here with her students.  There were many rewards to teaching, and she felt she had done a good job while in Cedar Springs.  She stopped for a moment to pray that her students would continue to do well and that the new teacher would love them as much as she.
Locking the door, she walked slowly back to her cabin.  She fixed a light lunch and bathed and changed her dress.  The one she had worn that morning was soiled from her cleaning.  She would have to wash it and other laundry in the morning.  Only two more days until she and Beth got on the train!
Later Amanda walked into town and stopped to give Mr. Perkins the key to the school.  Mr. Perkins expressed gratitude for the job she had done and gave her a letter of recommendation to carry with her.
“I hope you will continue to teach, Miss Stone.  You have done an excellent job here, and I would hate for you to give up teaching.  Children need good teachers.  I wish you good luck in your new home.”
Amanda smiled and blushed at the praise.  Shaking Mr. Perkins’ hand, she said, “Thank you for the opportunity to come here and work.  It has been an enjoyable two years, and I will miss everyone.  Thank you for your help.”
After leaving Mr. Perkins, Amanda walked to Mr. Zimmerman’s store.  She had kept her visits at a minimum when Beth was there. Both were too afraid that they would let something slip about their plans; but, for today, she thought she would have to chance it.  People would think it strange if she did not visit with her good friend while she had the opportunity.
Entering the store, she found Beth alone.  Beth smiled at Amanda as she entered and walked over to greet her.
“What can I do for you today, Mandy?”  She put her finger against her lips and indicated by a nod that Mr. Zimmerman was in the back room used for storage.
“Let me show you some of this lovely new calico.  We just got it in yesterday.  You might want some to make a new dress.” 
Amanda walked with Beth to the dry goods counter where they examined the different bolts of cloth.
Glancing over her shoulder, Beth whispered, “I will come by on the way home.  I will finish about four o’clock.  I have to go home and cook supper.  HE is coming out tonight.”  She jerked her head toward the back.  “He says he might as well get used to the drive every night.”
Beth blushed and rolled her eyes.  Amanda knew that Beth was still uncomfortable with any talk of her upcoming marriage, and she smiled reassuringly at her friend.
Mr. Zimmerman coughed as he came into the room.  Smiling, he asked Amanda if she saw anything she liked.
Amanda returned his smile and said, “No, I think I will wait.  I have so much in my trunk now that I don’t think I could get another thing in it.  The cloth is lovely though.  Maybe Beth will get some for a new dress.”
Mr. Zimmerman cackled and said, “Well, we will have to see about that.  She seems to have plenty of dresses now.”
Amanda bit her lip to keep from saying something she would regret later.  Here Beth was working in his store for no pay, and he didn’t even want her to have a new dress!  Amanda was surer than ever that Beth should not marry him.
Turning to Beth, she hugged her and said, “I have to be going now.  It was good to see you.  I will miss you when I leave.”
Beth replied sedately, “I will miss you too, but we can write each other.  And I know that I will have a happy life here.” 
Amanda saw the twinkle in Beth’s eye as she turned to Mr. Zimmerman and smiled.  Mr. Zimmerman blushed and looked at the floor.
Amanda quickly left the store before she said too much.  She was certain that God would not have Beth marry that old skinflint!  Why, he did not even know how to look at her when she smiled at him.  Amanda had to admit that she was more than a little surprised at how well Beth could act though.  She would never have suspected that Beth would be able to carry this through so well.
Later Beth stopped by on her way home.  “I don’t have much time, but I wanted to come by.  I could see that you were so angry.  He didn’t suspect a thing!  All I have to do is give him a big smile, and it embarrasses him to death.  I don’t know how he would ever be able to live in the same house with me if we did get married.  He is just like an old maid!”
Beth laughed.  “I suppose I should feel guilty at using him this way; but, honestly, he is just as bad as Father.  He has not even paid me one penny for helping in the store or doing his laundry and then to say I don’t need any dresses!  I feel badly about lying to him; but, at least, he has gotten free help in the store for a few weeks as well as clean clothes.  And I have learned a lot about working in a store.”
“I don’t see how you can stand to be there with him all of the time!  And no one would ever suspect a thing!  You almost had me believing you were ready to marry him!”
“The only reason I can do it is that I know that we will be gone in a few days, long before there will be any wedding!”
Going inside the tiny cabin, the two went over their plans once again.
“I can’t believe that we only have two more days; well, really just tomorrow and then on Friday, we will get on the train!  I am so excited and worried all at the same time, but I know we can do it!” Beth waved goodbye to Amanda as she drove off in the wagon.
Amanda waved back as she watched her drive toward the farm. Going back inside, she busied herself with checking over the trunk and satchel.  Tomorrow she would wash her soiled clothes and clean the tiny cabin.  The party was planned for that night, and the next day she and Beth would just have to do the final packing and get to the train.  Mr. Scott, the owner of the livery stable, was coming early Friday morning to take the trunk down to the station for her.
Amanda ate a small supper and spent some time reading her Bible and praying before retiring.  She found that she was growing more and more nervous as the time of their departure drew nearer.  The only thing that seemed to help was to spend more and more time in prayer so that she seemed to be in constant prayer for their trip.  So much depended on everything going according to plans. Amanda drifted to sleep dreaming about what it would be like in Seattle.

Amanda was awake at sunrise the next morning.  She could hardly believe that this was her last full day in Cedar Springs.  She was just finishing her breakfast when she heard someone knocking at the door.  After asking to see who was at the door, she opened the door to let Beth into the cabin.  Beth was carrying her last parcel.  It seemed a little larger than Amanda had expected.  She knew that this parcel held Beth’s nightgown for that night and a change of clothes plus her mother’s Bible.  It also contained the money from her father.  This was the most dangerous part of their plan.  Beth did not think that her father counted the money every night.  She was hoping that he would be too tired from the spring planting to do so tonight.  In the spring, Mr. Matthews was busy from sunup to sunset, planting all of the fields as well as caring for the animals. 
“Come inside.  I have something to tell you.” Beth whispered to Amanda.  Once they were in the cabin, she turned to Amanda and said, “Mandy, you won’t believe what has happened!  Late yesterday afternoon, I decided to go up to the attic to look at Mother’s wedding dress.  I had thought that I would not take it with me; but last night, I thought I couldn’t bear to leave it behind.  When I pulled it from the trunk, something hit the floor.  I had looked at the dress before but had never taken it out.   You’ll never guess what had fallen out!  It was a small bag; and, when I looked in it, there were two twenty-dollar gold pieces.  There was a note from my mother saying that this was for me to use for my wedding and to start my married life!  Can you believe it?  I did not want to take the money from Father, but I needed it to get away, and now I don’t have to take it!  It is as if my mother is watching out for me and helping me!”
Clasping Amanda’s hands, she continued, “Remember to pray very hard today.  This is the last day I will work in the store.  Father thinks I will work tomorrow so he does not expect me home until late afternoon.  It’s not my regular day to work, so Mr. Zimmerman won’t be expecting me.  He is busy with inventory before ordering more supplies for spring planting.  He orders a lot of extras during this time of the year. He is so busy that he didn’t really have much to say when I told him I couldn’t work late today because of the party tonight.  I left plenty of food for Father for the next two days.  Usually he just falls into bed after eating this time of the year.  I think both of them will be glad to see you gone.  Father is not used to sharing me with anyone.  He had complained several times about the amount of time I am spending with you, but I told him you would be gone soon.  He would have to share me with Mr. Zimmerman if we married.  I don’t think he has even thought of that!  I brought a pie for the party tonight.  Don’t forget to act surprised!  I will see you there.”
Amanda waved goodbye to Beth as she climbed back into the wagon and drove toward town.  She would leave the horse and wagon at the livery stable for tonight.  The women knew that Mr. Scott would contact Mr. Matthews when Beth did not return for them. 
Later that afternoon, Amanda walked toward the Jenson home.  They lived next to the church on the other end of town.  Amanda knew the invitation was a ruse to get her to the party.  She hoped she could act surprised. 
The Jensons welcomed her into their home.  Their two young children, James and Becky, were favorite students of Amanda’s, and they each demanded her attention.  Both wanted Amanda to sit beside them at supper.  Amanda could see they were each about to burst with excitement.  Finally their mother shooed them outside.
“I am so glad I asked you to come early so that we could visit, Mandy.  It just seems like yesterday that you came to church for the first time.  I was so happy to know that you were a believer and would set a good example for the children.  James and Becky love you, as do all of the children.  You have been a good model for them.”
Mrs. Jenson set the table as they talked, but she refused to let Amanda help.  “Nonsense! You are the guest of honor!”
So Amanda sat in the chair as Mrs. Jenson bustled around the room, seemingly working on the last minute preparations for the meal.  Amanda knew they were supposed to go over to the church for the meal where they would be met by all of the church family and others from the community who had come to bid Amanda a final farewell.  She wondered how Mrs. Jenson planned to get her to the church.
That question was answered in a few minutes when James and Becky came to the door and asked, “Mother, do you want us to go get Father now?” 
This was said so innocently that Amanda had trouble keeping a straight face.  Their mother told them to hurry over to the church and bring their father back.  “Come with us, Miss Stone,” they begged earnestly.
Amanda allowed them to take her hands and pull her toward the back entrance of the church.  She suspected this was to keep her from seeing the buggies and wagons out front.
Soon the two flung open the door and called, “Father!  We’re here!”
They were immediately drowned out by a loud cry of “Surprise!”  Amanda did not have to pretend to be surprised for she had not suspected that there would be so many people present with even Mr. Zimmerman in attendance.  Noticing Beth’s red face and nervous gestures, she smiled reassuringly at her friend before greeting the older man.
“Miss Stone, we will miss you in the community.  I know Beth here will miss you, but I think she will have plenty to occupy her time.” Mr. Zimmerman smiled, showing his crooked teeth.  Beth smiled back weakly, and Amanda could tell that the younger woman was uneasy.  Amanda did not have a chance to talk with her, as she was surrounded by people who were wishing her much happiness in her future.  Pastor Jenson blessed the food, and everyone insisted that Amanda be the first in line.  Amanda was too worried about Beth to eat much, but she filled her plate so that she would not hurt anyone’s feelings.  She knew the ladies had worked hard to prepare the meal.  Everything looked and smelled delicious.
Amanda was seated at the head table.  She tried to look around for Beth; but, when she caught sight of her, she seemed to be surrounded by a group of people.  Amanda knew that she would be able to talk with her later when they returned to her cabin.  She told herself that she would have to wait until then to find out what had happened.
The room quieted as everyone enjoyed their meal.  There was good-hearted joking as the desserts were passed. 
Pastor Jenson stood up to address the room when everyone had finished eating.  “We have been blessed with a wonderful teacher for the past two years.  She has become a good friend to all of us.  She has worked hard and given her best to our children; and, for that, we thank her.”  His words were met with a round of applause.
He continued, “Miss Stone, we wish you the very best in the future.  We know God will go with you and guide and protect you on your travels.  I know that you will be a blessing to any community.  We will all miss you!  Now we have a small gift for you.”
He presented Amanda with a small package.  Opening it, she found a new Bible.  Brushing the tears from her eyes, she stood and addressed the room.
“I don’t know what to say.  First of all, it has been an honor to be a part of this community.  I have loved getting to know you and teaching your children.  This church has welcomed me into the church family at a time when I was far from my earthly family.  I will always remember the special friends I made here.”
Her eyes sought Beth’s and she looked at her friend as she continued.  Beth seemed to have tears in her eyes, as did others in the room, especially the children.   “I love all of you and know you will be in my heart forever.  Thank you for this beautiful gift.  Nothing is more precious than God’s Word.  I will treasure it always.  Thank you so much for this lovely party and for your friendship.”
The church family surrounded Amanda as they bid her farewell for the last time.  Most of the crowd had gone when she turned to find Beth, Mrs. Jenson, and a few of the other ladies clearing the dishes and putting the room in order.  They refused to let Amanda help wash the dishes, but she insisted, saying that this was the last time she could help in this church.  Amanda noticed Mr. Zimmerman helping the men as they took down the table they had made from boards, and she wondered why he was present.  She was anxious to get Beth back to the cabin so she would be able to talk freely with her.  The women made quick work of the dishes and cleaning.  Amanda hugged Mrs. Jenson and the other women and thanked them again.
Turning, she saw Mr. Zimmerman and Beth in an earnest conversation with Pastor Jenson.  Pastor Jenson looked concerned, but Beth seemed to be reassuring him. 
Amanda waited until they had finished talking before walking over to ask Beth if she was ready to leave.  She was surprised when Mr. Zimmerman accompanied them outside and down the boardwalk toward her home.  It seemed that he meant to walk all the way with them.  He took Beth’s arm as they made their way down the street.  The look on Beth’s face was strained, and Amanda tried to keep the conversation going by commenting on the party, the food, and even the weather.  Mr. Zimmerman agreed with all she said, but Beth barely acknowledged her remarks.  It was so unlike Beth that Amanda was more worried than ever.  They were soon outside of the tiny cabin where Amanda had made her home since moving to Cedar Springs.
Holding out her hand to Mr. Zimmerman, she said, “Thank you walking us home.  It was kind of you.  I will miss Cedar Springs.  Thank you for your kindness.”
Mr. Zimmerman shook her hand and then took Beth’s arm again.  “I know Beth here will miss you.  She told me you know all about our upcoming marriage; and, just today, she agreed that there is no need in us waiting any longer.  We are going to be married in two weeks.”  He cackled as he added, “I guess she won’t forget our anniversary since it will be her birthday – and I won’t have to buy but one present!”
He seemed to find this extremely amusing.  Amanda tried to smile politely while noticing that Beth had grown deathly pale.
“Well, I certainly wish you all the best.  Beth has been my best friend here, and I wish her nothing but happiness.”  At least that was the truth. 
Mr. Zimmerman let go of Beth’s arm to shake Amanda’s hand again; and, as quickly as she could, Amanda grabbed Beth’s arm and pulled her toward the door.
“We must go in now.  I have a long journey tomorrow, and I need to get some rest.  Good night.”
Beth finally spoke, “Don’t forget that I will return home after seeing Mandy off in the morning.  I’ll be in early on Saturday to work, and we can speak to Pastor Jenson that evening.”
Amanda could not believe that Mr. Zimmerman could not hear the strain in Beth’s voice, but he seemed to notice nothing unusual as he bid them good night and walked back toward the store.
“Don’t forget to come by on the way home and get that seed catalog your father wanted.”  He called back to them.
Amanda quickly unlocked the door, and the two went inside.  Beth leaned against the closed door and breathed a loud sigh of relief.
          “What is going on?  I thought you had convinced him not to tell anyone about the wedding.”
Beth pushed her fingers through her hair, dislodging most of it from her neat bun.  She had taken to wearing it up most of the time, especially while she worked in the store.  She sat down next to the table.
“Oh, a young man came in the store today.  He is from the next county.  He was looking for a special kind of seed and had heard that we had some.  He was kind of flirting with me, I guess.  You know, asking me if I was married, that kind of thing.  Mr. Zimmerman overheard him and told him that I was engaged to him.  It was really kind of funny.  You should have seen the young man’s mouth fall open like he couldn’t believe that I would marry an old man like that.  He recovered and wished us all the best; but after he left, Mr. Zimmerman –or Frederick – as he insists I start calling him, told me that he wanted to get married right away.  I had to tell him that we would get married on my birthday to satisfy him and agree to talk to Pastor Jenson.  I guess you saw us talking with Pastor Jenson tonight.  He asked him to meet with us on Saturday evening.  I know Pastor Jenson was shocked and concerned because, as far as anyone knows, we have not even been courting.  And he knows that Mr. Zimmerman does not attend church.  I could tell he was full of questions, but I had to try to convey that I would talk to him later.
“Oh, Mandy, I just hope this isn’t going to cause trouble tomorrow.  Everything has been going so smoothly that I was sure that we would get away easily. Now I’m not so sure.  I had told Father I would work all day tomorrow.  I had to assure him that I would work less after I married.  Then Mr. Zimmerman seems to want me to work every day!  I told him I wouldn’t be able to work tomorrow so that neither would miss me until after we are gone.   Now he wants me to come in and get a seed catalog!”
Amanda rushed to reassure the younger woman.  “We’ll just go by for it on the way to the station. Then you can tell him you have to hurry home after I leave because you have to do the washing or baking or something.  Oh, Beth, nothing can go wrong now.  We’re almost there.  Just keep the faith that everything will go as planned.  After all, you did tell Mr. Zimmerman that you would marry him on your birthday. He must think everything is fine now.  I am a little surprised that he would be jealous, but maybe he cares more than we thought.”
“Or he doesn’t want to lose a good worker who works for free as well as does his laundry and cooks for him!” Beth retorted.
“Let’s just check over everything and try to get some sleep.  I know I will be too nervous and excited to sleep, but let’s try, anyway.”
The two women checked over the trunk and added Beth’s clothes to the satchel.  All that was left to do was to change into their nightclothes.  Beth planned to wear an everyday dress to the station to avoid suspicion while Amanda would wear one of her nicer ones.  They would just have to tuck their nightgowns into the satchel along with some personal items, and they would be ready to go.
Amanda took her new Bible, and they sat at the small table for their devotion.
“Let’s read your mother’s letter, and then read some passages from the list she left for you.”  Amanda suggested.
Beth agreed and took out her mother’s letter and carefully unfolded it and began to read.  When she had finish Amanda turned to Romans:
“And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose.”
Romans 8:28 (KJV)

Turning over a few more pages, she read from Philippians:

“I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” Philippians 4:13 (KJV)

After reading these words, she turned back to Psalms:

“Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.
Serve the Lord with gladness: come before His presence with singing.
Know ye that the Lord He is God: it is He that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are His people, and the sheep of His pastures.
Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise; be thankful unto Him, and bless His name. For the Lord is good; His mercy is everlasting; and His truth endureth to all generations.”
Psalm 100 (KJV)

When Amanda had finished reading these words, the two bowed their heads for prayer.  They each prayed, Amanda first, followed by Beth.  Earnest prayers went up for their safety and that they were doing the right thing.  They asked for reassurance that this was God’s plan and for guidance in their new home.  Over and over they asked for God’s blessing and for forgiveness for the dishonestly of which they each had been guilty.  It was quite a while later when they rose from the table and went to bed.  Amanda hugged Beth once again before blowing out the candle.
“Mandy?”
“What?”
“What if my father notices anything?”
“Well, did you leave some clothes hanging in your room like we planned?”
“Yes, I left some of my older dresses and one or two of my mother’s.”
 “He hasn’t seemed suspicious, has he?”
“No, actually, he has seemed pretty agreeable about me working and everything.  I guess he is just glad that I finally stopped arguing with him about getting married.  And Mr. Zimmerman has paid for all of his seed and even given me some supplies since I have been cooking for him several nights a week.  I even brought his lunch on the days I worked plus doing his laundry and mending!  I think both of them have gotten something from the deal.  I don’t think Mr. Zimmerman is suspicious.  I think he was just jealous or worried that a handsome young man might sweep me off my feet, and he would lose out.  Neither one of them seem to mind all of the extra work I have had to do!  I think Father has been too busy with the planting and thinking about all the advantages he is getting out of this match to even think I would defy him.  I never have before, so I hope he doesn’t think it is possible now.”
Amanda patted her friend’s back.  “Just keep praying, and try to get some sleep.  Tomorrow’s the big day!  We’ll need all the rest we can get!”
Amanda turned onto her side and tried to sleep.  She passed the time by continuing to pray and knew that her friend was doing the same.  She finally drifted off to sleep but woke up several times during the night.  Each time she prayed until she fell back to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment