Friday, February 25, 2011

Chapter Fifteen

Riley paused to wipe the moisture from his brow before taking a long drink of cool water.  He had been working steadily since leaving the home of the women after lunch and was ready for a break.  Placing the ladle back into his bucket, he sat down on a log and looked out at the view from the front of his cabin.  His property was high enough above Seattle that he could see a large portion of the Sound but was still secluded from the town.  He had already spent time cutting down trees that blocked his view.  In his opinion this was one of the best things about his property.  A rough road went by his place on the way to the logging camp above, but he could stay here for hours without seeing another person.
Riley looked at the beautiful water below and the beauty of the forest.  He thought about Pastor Taylor’s words that morning.  He could easily believe in God.  The beauty of nature was reason enough to believe in a Creator.  But all of that about being a sinner and Jesus coming to save him?  Riley thought he was a good enough man.  He worked hard, tried to always do the right thing, and to help others.  What more could a man do?  And why would Jesus come to earth to save him?  But he had to admit that Amanda, Beth, Sarah, and the others seemed to have something special.
Reaching into his pack, he pulled out the Bible that Beth had given him earlier.  Turning the pages slowly, he looked for the verses that Pastor Taylor had used that morning in his sermon.  He could not remember the exact verses and gave up after a few minutes and just started at the beginning of Matthew.  Beth had advised him to read in the New Testament for answers about Jesus, although she had told him that she found special verses throughout the Bible that helped her.  Riley read through the first several chapters and put the book aside reluctantly, promising himself that he would read more later that evening.
Standing, he stretched the sore muscles in his back.  Although he worked hard at the sawmill six days a week, he was using different muscles while working on his house.  Picking up his hammer, he looked at the partially finished structure.  He had put the corner posts in the ground and was ready to start on the roof and walls.  It would be hard work by himself, and he thought that he should have asked for Will’s help.
Hearing a shout, he turned to find Will and Ben walking toward him.
“What are you two doing here?” He asked as he went to shake the hands of the two men.
“We were talking and decided that we would come up to see if you could use our help.”
When Riley assured them that he would be glad of any assistance, Will continued, “I don’t really hold with working on Sundays.  I believe that should be a day of rest, but with both of us working at the mill every day, there isn’t much time to help out any other day.  And Ben has his store opened every day but Sunday.  And it’s not too often that we are not having a downpour!”
Will did not add that he and Ben had discussed the possibility of witnessing to Riley while they worked.  Spying the Bible still lying on the log, he thought this was a perfect opportunity for them to begin.
“Have you been reading God’s word?” he asked as he went to pick up the small book.
“Well, yes.  Beth gave me that on the train on the way to San Francisco.  I really haven’t read much of it before, so I thought I would look at it and see what I thought about it.”
“If you have any questions, Ben or I would be happy to talk with you.  Trusting the Lord has gotten me through some hard times, and I don’t know what I would do without Him.”
Ben nodded in agreement.
Seeing that Riley was not ready to discuss this yet, the men asked him what he wanted them to do.  With their help, he soon had the framework in place.
“We ought to plan a house raising!  That way you could get most of the work done in one day, and it would be fun to get everyone together.  We could make a party of it the way they do back east.”  Will told Riley as they prepared to return to the boarding house where he and Will were staying. 
“I think maybe our friend is getting ready to tie the knot!”  Will said jokingly to Ben.  “How about it, Riley?  Have you already picked out who you want for a bride?”
Riley scowled at him.  “I just want a place of my own.  I don’t have any intention of getting married anytime soon.  You can’t trust women anyway!”
“Hey, I was just teasing you, Riley.”  Will looked serious.  “But I hope you aren’t still carrying around that grudge about Susan and Stephen West.”
 If possible, Riley’s expression grew fiercer.  “I don’t want to talk about that!”
“All right, but you know in your heart that all women are not like her.  Why, just look at Sarah, Beth, and Mandy.  I don’t think I have ever seen any more godly women than they are.  I know Susan led you into believing that she was in love with you while seeing Stephen behind your back.  But please don’t let that keep you from making a happy marriage.”
“I said I don’t want to talk about it!”
Will hoped his words were having an effect on his friend, but Riley refused to talk about it and packed up his tools in preparation for their trip back into town.  Ben lived over his store and bid the other two good night as they entered town while Will and Riley returned to the boarding house.

On Monday morning, Amanda arose early in order to fix breakfast and help Beth get ready to go to work. Beth was looking forward to working in the store.
“I hope I will meet some more of the people of the town.  Perhaps I’ll even have an opportunity to invite some of them to church next Sunday.”
Amanda agreed that there should be plenty of chances for Beth to ask others to church while she was working.
“I am going down to the Parker’s to help Sarah and Cora with the injured man.  What did Sarah say his name was again?”
“I think it was Jacques something.”
“Oh, yes, it was Jacques Dubois.  Sarah said he had come from one of the French provinces in Canada.  I am taking some broth over and will help Sarah and Cora bathe him.’
“Beth, I am a little nervous about bathing him.  I’ve never done anything like that.   Do you think it is all right since I’m not married and I’m not a nurse or doctor?”
“Yes, you are a nurse if you are helping nurse him.  Plus Sarah and Cora will be with you.  You can bathe his arms and legs and leave him covered elsewhere and let the two of them handle that.  I don’t have any experience with nursing male patients.  Well, I did help with Joe, but I didn’t have to bathe him.  I guess you should ask Sarah what to do.”
Amanda agreed that she would talk with Sarah but said that she did not think she would feel comfortable bathing Jacques.
After Beth left for work, Amanda prepared the broth to take with her.  She had already started a pot of venison stew for their supper.  The men of the community were taking turns going hunting in order to provide meat for the women at the community home, and usually they also brought something by their cabin.  Amanda was thankful for their generosity.  It would have been so expensive to purchase meat if any were even available and their diets would have been sparse if they were dependent on their garden. 
Amanda carefully carried the pot of broth as she walked the short distance to the Parker home.  She had to pass the general store on her way, and she prayed that Beth was having a good day and that she would enjoy her first day at work.
The Parker home was on the edge of town near the sound.  Amanda smiled as she sniffed the combined odor of the salt water and the spruce trees that surrounded the area.  She thought she would never get tired of her new home’s beauty.
Amanda stiffened as she spied a person stepping out of the forest.  It was the Indian who had been in the woods the day she and Beth were picking the berries, the one who had seemed so fascinated by her hair.  Amanda stared at the man, unable to move, and he stared back without moving.  Amanda was not sure how many minutes had passed before he silently faded into the forest.  Drawing a deep breath, she hurried into the cabin.
Sarah took one look at Amanda’s white face and took her to sit down, pushing her head between her knees and urging her to take deep breaths.  It was several minutes before Amanda was able to tell Sarah what had happened.
Sarah took Amanda’s hands in hers and looked into her eyes.
“Mandy, the Indians live here too.  They have lived here long before we did.  We have to learn to get along with them.  I know you are afraid after what happened the other time, but Riley talked with the man and I am sure it won’t happen again.”
“You wouldn’t say that if you had been there.  He just kept stroking my hair and saying, ‘Gold, gold” over and over again.  I just can’t help but be afraid every time I see him.  And the way he looks at me!  I just can’t explain it.”  Holding her head in her hands, Amanda broke down in tears, and it took more reassurance from Sarah before she as able to pull herself together.
“Mandy, remember, we have to trust in the Lord for our safety.  That doesn’t mean taking foolish chances but He will protect us.  Have you not thought about the fact that Riley just happened to be so close that day?  We will pray about this tonight during our devotion, and we will all be praying for you everyday.  I don’t want you to think you can’t go out in town.  Just don’t go out into the woods by yourself.”
“You don’t have to worry about that!” Amanda said.
Wiping her eyes, she asked Sarah what needed to be done.
“Unfortunately, there is infection in the leg.  Jacques has a fever so he needs to have his face bathed in cool water.  You should try to get him to drink as much water as you can too.  Cora had to go up the sawmill, and I have to go see Estelle Taylor.  I’ll be back in a short while.  Will you be all right by yourself?  You can lock the door behind me.”
Amanda nodded and Sarah showed her what she needed to do for Jacques.
“I imagine he will sleep most of the time.  I have given him some medication to fight the infection and to bring down his temperature.  Hopefully, he is strong enough to fight this off.  I want him to fully recover so that J.T. will know I am really a doctor!”
Amanda looked at Sarah in surprise.  That did not sound like the Sarah she knew.
“Oh, I would want him to recover anyway.  You know I want that for all of my patients, but I just want that J.T. to know that I know what I am doing!”
Sarah left for the Taylor home shortly thereafter.  Amanda locked the door behind her but had to admit she still felt uneasy about the Indian.  Returning to Jacques’ room, she began praying that the Lord would give her the courage she needed in this new land.  It was so different from Virginia and Ohio.  She had heard from Ben and Will that some of the Indians were professing Christians.  They did not practice all that she believed a Christian would, but they had been converted long ago by a visiting priest.  The priest continued on his way and the Indians had been left with a belief in God with no one to lead them in the ways of a new Christian.  Most of the Indians spoke a few words of English, and the long time settlers said they were friendly.  The Indians clung to their old customs and would consider some actions cause for war so everyone was advised to talk with the town leaders before having dealings with them. There had been some occasions of unscrupulous traders selling alcohol to the Indians and that was when there was trouble. 
Amanda bathed Jacques’ face and sat with him.  Every fifteen minutes or so she attempted to get some water or broth into him.  She could tell by his restlessness that he still had a fever.  Many times he uttered words in a language that she assumed to be French.  While she worked, she prayed for his recovery and for her friends.  She prayed for Riley’s salvation.  She was just admitting to herself how important it was to her that Riley know the saving grace of Jesus.  She refused to wonder why that was, she just knew that she wanted him to know the Lord.  She told herself that she would want the same for any of her acquaintances.
Looking at the watch she wore pinned to her dress, she saw that it had been almost two hours since Sarah had left.  She prayed that nothing had happened to her friend, but she knew that Sarah would go wherever she was needed.  Soon she heard a knock at the door and she hurried to answer it.  Pausing to ask who it was, she opened the door to admit Sarah.
‘I’m sorry that I took so long, but Estelle was not feeling too well today. This pregnancy has been hard on her with the trip and trying to make a new home.  I told Pastor Taylor and her that she should have complete bed rest as much as possible.  Pastor Taylor is worried and agreed readily but Estelle thinks she should be helping her husband so that he can win more souls to the Lord.  I had to talk to her for a while before I got her to see that she would not be much help if she lost the baby or if she herself was too ill.  She agreed and I told her that we would help with the house and cooking.  I hate to put so much on you, especially now that Beth is working at the store.  I will try to help all that I can but. . .”
“Don’t worry.  Remember that Hannah is moving in tomorrow.  She will be a big help.  And Beth is not working every day. It won’t be that much trouble to fix a little extra each time we cook.  I think it is our Christian duty to help our pastor’s family all we can, don’t you?” Amanda responded.
“I am sure that others in the church and community will feel the same way.  With everyone working together, it will not be a hardship on anyone.  Perhaps you can organize a way that everyone could sign up to help.”
Amanda stayed a little while longer, but when Cora returned from the mill, she left for home.  She knew she would take some of the stew over to the Taylor home, and she thought she would bake some corn bread to go with it.  She was so busy planning that she did not notice the Indian until he was beside her.
“Hello.”
Amanda was shocked when she saw the Indian and realized that he had spoken to her.  She forced herself to nod at him and return his greeting.  Not knowing what else she could do, she hurried up the hill toward the store.  She had only take a few steps, when she felt his hands tugging at her hair.
“Gold!”
He smiled at her.  Amanda’s stomach turned at the odor of the fish oil with which all the Indians rubbed themselves in order to keep away the bugs.  She jerked her hair away from his hands.
“No!”  She said forcefully.  “Don’t touch my hair!”
Turning, she practically ran up the hill to the general store.  Entering the store, she looked for Beth and went to her.  Looking behind her, she saw that the Indian had also entered the store. 
“Beth, he followed me here!  He touched my hair!  Oh, what can I do?” Amanda whispered to Beth.
With a quick glance, Beth knew she needed to get Amanda out of the room.  She led her to the back of the store and into the storage room.  There was a small table and two chairs.  Ben lived in quarters upstairs but he ate his lunch and some of his other meals down here so that he didn’t have to leave the store.  Beth brought Amanda a cup of tea and told her to stay there while she let Ben know what was happening.
Beth was back in a few seconds.
“He’s gone.  Ben knows about that day in the woods.  I guess Riley told him.  Ben waited on him as soon as he saw him and sent him on his way.  The Indians don’t come in here too often, but they do trade for some of their supplies here.  Oh, Mandy, I am so sorry that you were so frightened again.”
Amanda told Beth about seeing the Indian that morning on the way to the Parker’s.
“I feel like he is following me and watching me all the time.  I thought he had gone back to wherever he lives this morning but, as soon as I left the Parker’s, he was right beside me before I knew what was happening.  And he grabbed my hair again and said, ‘Gold!’ just like before!” Amanda shivered as she thought of the man’s hands on her.
“You just sit here and rest for a few minutes.  I will ask Ben if I can walk home with you.  It is about time for me to leave anyway.  I have a few supplies to get.  Was there anything special you needed or did you just come in to get away from the Indian?”
Amanda told Beth that she had planned to stop in and see how she liked her job but that she did not need any supplies.  She shared the news about Estelle Taylor and, as she expected, Beth was eager to help.  Beth gathered the supplies they needed and told Ben that she would see him later.
Amanda and Beth walked home quickly, but Amanda could not help looking over her shoulder several times as they walked.  Arriving home, they found Hannah who had brought a few of her things over.  Will had agreed to help her move the rest on the next day.
Amanda went to change her clothes, and Beth told Hannah what had happened.
“I don’t know why this Indian seems to have singled Mandy out.  It may have something to do with her blonde hair.  I guess we might be fascinated by it if we had never seen blonde hair before.  I plan to tell the men and see what they advise.  Right now the best thing we can do is for one of us to try to always be with her and not let her go out alone.  I am going to advise her to cover her hair with a bonnet.  That might help too.”
Beth explained to Hannah about Estelle and the other girl readily agreed to help.
“Mandy and I can go over every day to help with the household chores, and it won’t be much trouble to prepare some extra when we cook.  I will be glad to help.  I am so glad there is a church here, aren’t you?  I feel that we should do all we can to support our pastor and his family.”
Beth began preparing some cornbread to go with the stew.  She asked Hannah to join them for lunch as Amanda returned to the room.  Although still pale, Beth thought that Amanda was handling this situation better than the first one.  She prayed that the man would leave Amanda alone.
After lunch, Beth and Amanda paid a visit to Estelle Taylor.  Estelle told them that she did not want to be a burden to anyone, but they assured her that it was no trouble to do a few chores for her.  Gathering the dirty clothes, they bundled them up and promised to have them back by the next day.  They had brought some of the stew and cornbread.  Amanda promised that one of them would come over everyday.
“I am sure that once word gets around that you must have bed rest, everyone in the church and probably others in town will want to do their part.  And you may have the opportunity to witness to them while they help you out!”  Beth smiled at the older woman.
Estelle thanked them again and again.  Beth and Amanda asked her if they could pray with her before they left.  Mr. Taylor came in just as they were preparing to leave.
“We can’t thank you enough for your offer to help.  I am not too good with household duties.  I was raised with five sisters, and they never let me do anything in the house.  I trust the Lord will help me to learn.  Perhaps this is meant as a learning experience for me. I pray that the Lord will give us a healthy baby, and I am willing to do all I can to help dear Estelle.” He smiled at his wife tenderly.
The women told him that they were glad to help and looked on the opportunity to serve them as a blessing.
“One of us will come everyday.  We will just prepare a little extra each day and all you will have to do is heat it up.  I am sure others will be willing to do their part too.  As you say, the Lord will watch over us and provide for us.”
Upon arriving back at their house, the two women were surprised to find two large salmon wrapped in leaves on their doorstep.
“I guess one of the men brought it by while we were out.  Let’s bake it for our supper,” said Beth.
The rest of the day was spent washing and ironing their clothes along with those of the Taylors.  Although tired, they were glad to have the task behind them.  Sarah returned home in time for the evening meal, and they shared the details of their visit with the Taylors as well as the incident with the Indian.
The women had started the habit of having a short Bible study each evening before retiring.  They each took a turn leading the discussion of a Bible passage.  They shared concerns and had a time of prayer.  Beth and Sarah both prayed for Amanda’s safety and for her to have courage.  Amanda was glad to have two friends such as these to join her on this adventure to a new land and knew that God was with them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment