Thursday, February 17, 2011

Chapter Seven

Amanda arose from the bed and turned to awaken Beth who looked as tired as Amanda felt. 
“The big day is finally here!  Do you think we can pretend just a little longer until we both are safely on the train?”  Amanda was worried but excited as well.
“We can try!  Did you sleep any?  I feel like I only got about ten minutes of sleep but I supposed we can nap on the train.  And if anyone comments, we can say we spent the night talking.  That is the truth, anyway.  I know I spent the night talking to God and I imagine you did too!” Beth replied.
“You are right about that!  Let’s get the rest of our things packed and ready for Mr. Scott to pick up and carry to the station.  The train will be here at nine o’clock and I want to be there in plenty of time.  We still have to get your ticket too, you know.”  Amanda said.
The two women quickly washed and dressed, placing the last of their items into the satchel.  Amanda made some coffee and they had some bread and butter.  After eating, they washed the few dishes and straightened the cabin.  Amanda wrapped the leftover bread along with a few apples in a small basket for the trip.
“Mrs. Jenson said she would come today and get the sheets and bedding and wash them so they would be ready for the new teacher.  I have had some good times in this cabin and I will remember it fondly.  It is the first home I have had on my own.”  Amanda smiled at Beth.
“Well, we will soon be on our way to St. Louis and then on to the Northwest!”
There was a knock at the door and they opened it at once to admit Mr. Scott and his son, Toby, who would carry the trunk to the station.  When they offered them a ride to the station, the two agreed but said they had to stop by the store for a moment. 
Once they reached the store, Amanda told Mr. Scott to go on to the station and that she and Beth would walk over when they had finished at the store.  Mr. Scott agreed to carry the satchel and leave it with the stationmaster.
“Good morning!” Beth called as they entered.  Amanda could hear the strain in her voice but Mr. Zimmerman did not seem to notice anything out of the ordinary.
“I came by to get that seed catalog.  I thought you might be busy after the train left and it could be late too.  I’ll just take it with me and I can tell you tomorrow what Father wishes to order.  Or he can tell you himself when you come to supper tomorrow night.  Remember that I have to hurry home after the train leaves.  I have to get some baking done.  I am planning to make some more apple pies.  I know how you like them!”
Amanda had to admit that Mr. Zimmerman did not look at all suspicious as he went to get the catalog for Beth.  Amanda smiled at him as he once again wished her a safe trip.  Maybe he was not all that bad but she did not think he was the one for Beth.
Beth smiled too as she said, “I will see you in the morning.  Now don’t forget.  I am bringing you some of my fried chicken for lunch.”
The two young women left the store and walked down the street arm in arm. 
“I don’t think he was suspicious at all.” Amanda remarked to her friend.
“No, and if my father had noticed anything he would have come in last night so maybe we will be all right."  Beth smiled widely but Amanda could tell she was still nervous.  Not that she blamed her, she was nervous herself.
Amanda was surprised to see Pastor and Mrs. Jenson at the station.  She had thought they had said their final good-byes last night.  Mrs. Jenson hugged her and gave her a basket filled with food.
“This was left over from the party last night and I knew you would get hungry along the way.”
Amanda smiled her thanks while wondering how their plan would work if the Jensons stayed until the train left. 
“I will miss you all so much.  Thanks again for all you have done for me.”
Amanda looked around to see that Pastor Jenson had pulled Beth to one side and was talking earnestly to her.  Beth seemed just as earnest as she replied to whatever the kindly pastor was saying to her.  Pastor Jenson shook his head and with a worried look on his face, came over to Amanda to wish her a safe journey.
“Mandy, may God bless you, child.  We will continue to pray for you.  I know Beth here will miss you greatly, as will all of our congregation and indeed, the whole town.”
Amanda smiled at the man of God who had been such a friend to her.  She gave him a quick hug before expressing her thanks again.
“Thank you both so much for coming to see me off.  I know you are busy. Don’t think you have to stay to see me off.  Beth will be here with me.”
“Oh, we wouldn’t think of letting Beth face seeing her best friend go without standing beside her.”  Mrs. Jenson smiled warmly at the two girls.
“Mother, I think, maybe, we should go and let these two have their privacy.  Beth, if you need us, you know we will be at home waiting for your visit.  I want to talk with you some more about this meeting with you and Mr. Zimmerman tomorrow night.  Come by on your way home.”  Pastor Jenson took Amanda’s hands in his once more, “God bless you, Amanda.”
Beth nodded her agreement and she and Amanda looked at each other as the older couple walked toward their home.
“I can’t believe they’re going!  I thought for sure they would stay until the train came and our plans would have been ruined!” Amanda whispered to Beth.
“They probably would have if I had not promised him that I would stop by on the way home.  I feel guilty not telling them the truth but we must write to them as soon as it is safe to let them know where we are and why we felt we had to do it this way.” Beth whispered back.
Amanda agreed, knowing that she could not have broken a confidence or endangered Beth’s plans to get away.  She waved good bye to the older couple before going inside to check on the train schedule and get her satchel.  She was relieved to hear that the train was expected to be on time today.  She returned to the platform and Beth.
Now it was time for the next step of their plan.  Amanda sat on a bench on the platform and began mopping her brow and even leaned on Beth as she joined her on the bench.  Beth soon went into the station to ask for some water.  She told Mr. Rickets, the stationmaster, that Amanda felt ill.  She returned with the water and wet her handkerchief to wipe Amanda’s face.  They could hear the train whistle in the distance.  It was time for the most risky part of the plan.  Beth waited until they could see the train pulling into the station and rushed into the depot.  Amanda chewed her thumbnail as she waited for her friend to return while remembering to keep her head down in case anyone was looking at her.  Amanda had lent Beth some money, because they had felt that Mr. Ricketts wold be suspicious if she had used one of the gold coins.
She was so happy to see Beth return holding a ticket that she almost forgot that she was supposed to be sick.  Beth rushed to her side and helped her onto the train.  The conductor took the satchel and baskets and helped the women to their seats.  Beth kept a sharp eye out of the window to see if anyone had noticed her boarding the train.  So far, no one seemed to be paying any attention.  Mr. Rickets was busy loading the mail and baggage and taking the day’s deliveries, so that he did not have time to tell anyone, if indeed, there had been anyone to tell.  The town seemed to go about its business, and no one had a spare glance for the train.  Amanda supposed that they were used to the train stopping each day and maybe everyone assumed that Beth had just gotten on the train in order to spend a last few minutes with her friend.
It seemed to take forever for the exchange of mail and other deliveries to take place but Amanda knew it was only a matter of minutes before they were completed.  She breathed a sigh of relief upon hearing the whistle, indicating the train’s departure.  She and Beth both relaxed against the seat as the train began to move, slowly at first and soon picking up speed.
Beth gave a gasp and pressed back against the seat.
“There!  Did you see?  Mr. Zimmerman was on the porch watching the train pull out!  Do you think he saw me?”
Amanda looked back toward the town.  “I don’t see how he could have seen you.  And even if he did, he could hardly stop the train now, could he?  He was probably just looking for his deliveries.  He will be so busy putting those away that he will think he missed you going by.  I think we are probably safe now.  Finally, we are on our way!”
The two women squeezed each other’s hand and took time for a short prayer of thanksgiving before relaxing on the seat.
“I just bought a ticket down to Canton.  That’s only two stops away.  So if he does ask about it, Mr. Rickets will tell him that you were ill and I decided to accompany you for a short distance.  I even told Mr. Rickets to tell my father or anyone that asked that I would be on this afternoon’s train.  So they shouldn’t worry too much until then and by then, we will be halfway to St. Louis!  Oh, I can’t believe we did it! Now if the rest of our trip is as smooth, we will be fine.  I thought the plan was ruined when I saw the Jensons!”
“What was he talking to you about?  You both looked so serious!”
“Mr. Zimmerman had cornered him last night at your party to ask him to meet with us tomorrow to talk about the wedding.  Neither he nor Father wants to spend any money on the wedding so he just wants Pastor Jenson to marry us, either at church or at our house.  Pastor Jenson wanted to remind me of the verses about marrying a non-believer.  I told him that I would never do that.  I had to tell him that I had to work at the store today but that I would come by on the way home to speak with him.  I think he knows that I am not in love with Mr. Zimmerman.  He is so kind – they both are.  I hated lying to him but, at least, I told him the truth when I said I would never marry a non-believer.  I told him that my mother had cautioned me to only marry for love and that I should be sure to marry someone who was a believer.  I will need to write to them as soon as I can and explain everything.”
Beth consulted with the conductor on his next trip through their car.  He assured her that she could buy a ticket to Cincinnati from him and then purchase a ticket there for the remainder of the trip to St. Louis.  They would change trains in Cincinnati and would arrive in St. Louis late that evening.
The two young women relaxed and tried to enjoy the ride.  Both were tired from their restless night and the excitement of the morning so they tried to get some rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment