Monday, February 14, 2011

Chaper Four

Amanda rose early the next morning and sat down to write the letter to Sarah. 
Dear Sarah,
I was so happy to hear from you.  I have been busy with the end of school.  It will be here before I know it.  Only a little more than three weeks now.  The children are planning an end of the year program and are quite excited about it.  This is a chance for them to show off for their parents and friends.
Your news was exciting.  I have hardly been able to keep my mind on my schoolwork for thinking about it.  It seems a great adventure.  I had been debating about returning here for the next school term.  I had thought that I might move nearer to you but now it seems you are going so far away. 
I have prayed so much about this opportunity and feel the Lord leading me to join you.  I have someone who wishes to join us.  I have written to you about my friend, Beth.  She is in a bad situation at home.  Her mother passed away some years ago, and she has been taking care of her home for her father.  Now her father is forcing her to marry our local storekeeper who is close to fifty.  Beth will be eighteen in May.  I believe her father wants the match for monetary gains.  She does not love this man, and he is not a believer.  We expect opposition from her father.  Please be in prayer that we will be able to get her away.
When I told Beth about the trip, she was eager to join us.  She is a strong Christian and so sweet.  I’m sure you will love her as much as I do.  She has many talents.  She can sew better than almost anyone I know.  She’s been taking care of their home for many years due to her mother’s long illness.  She also nursed her mother by herself.  She is not eager to be married, but I expect that someday she will make someone a wonderful wife.  I feel she would be an asset to any community.
I am not sure when we plan to leave but want to have time to purchase items that we will want to take with us. Please send me any other information that you have.  For now, we are not telling anyone of our decision.  I respect your wisdom and would ask that you give your advice on the situation.  I pray that we are taking the right step.  We are looking forward to this adventure with you.  I will let you know our plans as soon as possible.  I am looking forward to seeing you again.
                                                Love,
                                                Mandy

Amanda sealed the envelope and addressed it to Sarah. She dressed and walked to the postal office in order to send the letter on its way.  She knew she would feel better when she heard from Sarah again.  Upon returning home, she began her weekly chores. 
A short time later, Amanda sat down at her table to plan the schoolwork for the week.  She knew she would miss these students.  They had made much progress and were eager to learn.  This made them a joy to teach.
Amanda was up bright and early the next morning to prepare for church.  She had cooked a small pot of stew the day before, and she placed it on the back of the stove so that it would be warm for her lunch when she returned.  She hoped Beth would be able to come to church today.  Mr. Zimmerman did not go to church and probably would not want Beth to go.  That was one reason why she could not believe that God would have Beth go through with this marriage.
Beth had told Amanda soon after they met that Sunday services were a renewal for her and that she knew they were necessary for her well being.  She felt that, since her father did not share her faith, she needed the time of fellowship with other Christians.  Amanda agreed for she knew that if she had to miss services for some reason, she felt out of sorts for the whole week.  Even reading her Bible and praying did not seem to fill the void left by missing church services and the fellowship she experienced there.  She believed worship was a necessary part of any Christian’s life.
Amanda arrived at church early.  She was very anxious to see Beth and prayed that she would be able to attend today.  She breathed a sigh of relief when she saw Beth’s wagon coming down the road.  Beth had driven her father’s wagon today instead of riding with the Murphys.  Amanda hurried up the wagon almost before it stopped. 
Clasping Beth’s hand, she whispered, “Oh, Beth, I am so glad you were able to come today. I was so afraid that your father might not let you.”
Beth gave her usual calm smile.  “I told him that I would continue going to church . . . it was Mother’s wish for me to do so.  That seems to work.  It was the same when I told him that Mother did not want me to marry until I was 18.  I told him that I would continue to cook Sunday lunch as I had in the past but that I was attending services.  I think he is just happy that I haven’t tried to say that I refuse to marry Mr. Zimmerman.”
Beth climbed down from the wagon and, after securing the horse, the two walked into the church.  They chose a seat near the front since they both liked to hear and see Pastor Jenson as he spoke to them.  The women were well liked by all in the community, so everyone smiled a greeting; and some even spoke to them as they made their way to the front of the church.
The service was soon underway as the congregation stood to sing some favorite hymns.  As they sang Savior, Like a Shepherd Lead Us, Amanda thought what a comfort it was to know that the Lord cared for her, listening when she prayed and guiding her on her path.
The congregation sang the last verse and settled into their seats to listen to the words from Pastor Jenson.
Pastor Jenson read from the book of Jonah:
“Now the word of the Lord came unto Jonah the son of Amitai, saying, Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry against it; for their wickedness is come up before me. But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the Lord, and went down to Joppa; and he found a ship going to Tarshish: so he paid the fare thereof, and went down into it, to go with them unto Tarshish from the presence of the Lord.  But the Lord sent out a great wind into the sea, and there was a mighty tempest in the sea, so that the ship was like to be broken.’

Pastor Jenson continued, “Friends, this is a familiar story to us.  Many of us heard, even as children, the story of Jonah and the whale.  This is fascinating to us . . . how a man could be swallowed by a fish and live.  We might say that this is the greatest fish story that has ever been!  Sometimes I think we get too caught up in that part of the story and don’t pay enough attention to the other parts.” 
“Jonah was called by the Lord to go into another country and witness to the people there because of their wickedness.  The people from Nineveh were very wicked.  They tortured their captives of war and made slaves of them.  Jonah was probably frightened by the thoughts of what could happen to him there.  We cannot really blame him for being afraid.  I expect some of us would have been afraid too.  This was a foreign country where he knew no one.” 
“But Jonah was forgetting that God had sent him to this country: therefore, He had a purpose for Jonah and would protect him while he was there.  Jonah knew that he did not want to do as the Lord commanded.  He wanted to run away.  But we cannot run away from God.  There is nowhere that any one of us can hide from Him.  God was with him on the ship, and Jonah knew that he was the cause of the storm.  I wonder if we realize that we cause some of our own problems, and many times it is because we are not doing as the Lord has commanded us.” 
“Jonah did go to Nineveh and tell the people that God was going to destroy them if they did not turn from their wicked ways.  The people of Nineveh believed and turned to the Lord.  But did this make Jonah happy?  No, it did not.  He complained to God.  He told God, ‘ Lord, I have done as you asked and told the people that they would be destroyed in forty days.  And now you aren’t going to destroy them?  This makes me look like a fool!’   Jonah was more concerned with his reputation than he was with the souls of these thousands of people.”
“Jonah was not happy that the people had repented and were now living for God.  Aren’t we like that sometimes?  We only want to witness to those that are like us – our families and friends.  We try to witness to people, but do we really think they can change?  Then if someone does repent and comes to worship Jesus, do we welcome them or shun them, especially if they are different from us?  Sometimes we are reluctant to witness because we are afraid that we will be the object of scorn and ridicule.” 
“I think there are many truths in today’s scripture.  First, we should do as God asks.  It may be a difficult task, but we know we have the assurance that God is always with us and that He has a purpose for us. We learn that we should listen to God and obey his commandments.  We should never try to run from God or from our problems.  God will help us through all of life’s trials.  We must be willing to follow God’s leading in our life.  When we do not, God may punish and discipline us.  But if we do as the Lord commands, He will bless us.  We should be happy for those who are making the changes.  Christ can change a person in ways we cannot imagine.  We need to take a chance and step out in faith.”
“Friends, we need to ask ourselves today: are we doing what God commands us to do?  Are we willing to go into a strange land and witness if that is what God would have us do?  God has a purpose for each of you sitting before me today.  Do we use the talent God has given to us and witness to those around us?  Do we live by examples so that others know that we are Christians?”
“We also need to ask ourselves if we are running from God?  Does God have a plan for you that you are reluctant to obey?  Are you afraid or unwilling to make a change or afraid of looking foolish?  The Bible is full of promises that God is always with us and takes care of us, even as little lambs and He is our Shepherd.  Whatever God would have us do, He will give us the strength and help to do it.”
Both women were so absorbed in Pastor Jenson’s words that the minutes flew by as he challenged them to be open to God’s purpose in their lives.  After another song, they stood for a final prayer.  They greeted friends and acquaintances and were soon on their way to Amanda’s cabin.
Once there, Amanda turned to Beth.  “Oh, Beth, isn’t it amazing that God gives Pastor Jenson the messages He does!  He really spoke to my heart this morning.  If God is leading us to go to Seattle, and I believe He is, then we must be willing to obey.  But are you running from your problems?  Maybe it would be better, if we asked your father if you could go.”
Beth shook her head.  “Mandy, I know that my father would never agree to my going.  Who would cook and clean for him?  I wish with all my heart that he would accept Christ as his Savior.  That would truly make a difference.  If he were a Christian, he would not force me into this marriage.  But I have prayed for years and witnessed to him, and he has hardened his heart against it.  I know God can work miracles and change him, but he does not want to be changed.  I will pray all of my life that he will hear and be willing, but I won’t marry someone hoping for that change.  I have hoped for that practically all of my life.”
Amanda hugged her friend and promised that she, too, would pray for Mr. Matthews.  Beth twisted her face into a disgusted look and said,  “I can only stay a few minutes because Mr. Zimmerman is coming to lunch.   I told both of them that I would continue going to church each Sunday.  I think both of them think church is for women!  Anyway, I don’t think either of them minds as long as I cook and clean for them.” 
“Mr. Zimmerman was there when I left, and he brought his laundry with him.  He said he couldn’t see paying someone to do it when I could do it now!  Can you believe that?”
Amanda was amazed that Mr. Zimmerman would do so, but it seemed that neither of the men wanted to spend any more money than necessary.  The two women climbed down from the wagon, and Beth took a small parcel from under the seat before entering the cabin.
“I just brought a few of my patterns today. I have had another idea since yesterday.  I am going to suggest to Mr. Zimmerman that I help him in the store two days a week.  Then I can come into town several times each week and bring a few items each time.”
“I am also going to tell them that you are leaving after school is out and that I want to give you a going away party!  We will plan to have it the day before we leave and then I can stay with you for your last night and be in town when you leave!”
Amanda stared at Beth in amazement.  Was this her shy little friend?  Laughing, she hugged Beth before pulling away and clasping her hands in hers.  “Beth, you surprise me!  I have been worrying about all of this, but you have gone ahead and made plans.”
“Well, this is almost the middle of April, and school is out the first of May so we don’t have much time.  Besides, I told you that I haven’t been able to sleep very well. I don’t have anyone to talk to all day while I do my work so I spend all of my time either praying or planning!  You need to find out the train schedule; then we can decide when to leave and when to have your party.  Oh, I think I will say it is going to be a surprise party, so don’t tell anyone!  I’m going to talk to Mrs. Jenson and some of the others at church.”
“I guess I had better tell the school board before you do that! I will start my planning too.  I still have some doubts about whether this is the right thing to do.  I feel certain that you should not marry anyone without loving them nor should you marry a non-believer.  The Bible makes that very clear.  But I don’t like lying to your father and others in the town.”
“Well, no one is supposed to know about the wedding yet so you won’t have to talk about that.  I don’t like lying anymore than you do, but I know that Father would never let me go if I told him the truth.  And, Mandy, I feel very strongly that the Lord would have me go with you.  In fact, this seems to be an answer to all of my prayers about marrying Mr. Zimmerman.”
“What about the cost of your train ticket to St. Louis?  I have a little money saved but I don’t know . . . “
“Don’t worry about that. I am going to get it from Father!”
“But how will you do that if you aren’t going to tell him you are going?”
“I am just going to take it!”
“Beth!  That would be stealing!”
Beth looked into her friend’s eyes.  Amanda had never seen Beth look so determined.   “Mandy, I have worked for that money!  Father would have had to pay a lot of money for someone to cook, clean and care for Mother. He denied her the care she needed.  When I get to Seattle, I will find a way to make some money and send it back to him, but I truly believe that some of that money belongs to me.”
“I have to go now.  I wanted you to read my mother’s letter so I brought it with me.  Take good care of it.  I want to keep it forever so I will be reminded of how much she loved me.  I copied down the list of verses so you could be reading them.  I think you will see that we are doing the right thing.”
Amanda hugged Beth again, and Beth was soon on her way home.
Amanda decided to eat her lunch before reading the letter.  She quickly prepared a pot of tea and served herself some stew.
A short time later, Amanda sat down to read the letter that Beth had given to her.  She carefully unfolded the fragile pages and began to read.
My Dearest Beth,
I know that I will not be with you much longer.  Though sometimes the pain is almost greater than I can bear, I do not want to leave you.  You are so young to have had to care for me, but no one could have done a better job.  How I wish that I could be here to watch as you grow into a lovely young woman!
Beth, always put the Lord first in your life.  He will never forsake you.  He has been so faithful to me, and I will be so happy to see Him soon.  If you let Him guide your every action, you will always do the right thing. 
I wish I could be there to guide you as you grow.  Already I can see the lovely lady you will be.   I am so happy that you know the Lord as your personal Savior.  There is such precious hope in the knowledge that we will spend eternity together.
I pray that you will never forget all that we have shared.  I am enclosing a list of special scripture that has helped me in times of confusion and trouble.  Keep these close to your heart, and allow the Lord to guide you through His Word. 
Beth, you know that I love your father, but it grieves me that he does not know Jesus as we do.  Please continue to pray that he will come to know the Lord.  When you decide to marry, I hope that you will not marry a non-believer.  God’s Word warns against this.  I was not a Christian when I married and did not even know of these verses, but I do so wish that your father would come to know Jesus.  Marry a man that you love and respect, but be certain that he loves and respects the Lord also.  I believe the man should be the head of the home, as well as the spiritual leader.
There are so many things that I wish I had time to teach you, Beth, but my time on earth is growing shorter.  Always remember that I love you with all of my heart, and, as long as I live, I will pray for you.  I will never really leave you as long as you remember me, for I will live on in your heart.
                                                With all my love,
                                                Mother

Amanda had to wipe her eyes when she was finished reading.  How she missed her own dear mother!  What a blessing it was to have a Christian mother.  Amanda remembered some of the teachings of her mother and father and stopped for a moment to thank God for them and the influence they had had on her life.  Beth’s mother must have been a very special lady, much like her daughter.  Amanda could see why Beth was so certain that her mother would not have approved of the match with Mr. Zimmerman.
Amanda scanned the list of scripture verses.  Many were ones that she recognized as some of her favorites.  She vowed to read all of them before they left for Seattle.  She would tell Beth to read them so that they could share these together.  Amanda almost felt as if she had had a message from her own mother.  Rising to get her Bible, she turned to the first passage in Ephesians:
‘For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord, Jesus Christ, of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might by His Spirit in the inner man; that Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breath, and length, and depth, and height; and to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fullness of God. Ephesians 3:14 – 18 (KJV)’

As Amanda read these words, she was so thankful that she did know Jesus and that He was all-powerful.  She bowed her head to thank Him again for taking care of her and to praise Him for being so great that she could never fully comprehend just how powerful and omnipotent He was.  She prayed that He would guide her and Beth and give them the knowledge that they needed for the journey ahead.  She ended her prayer with the plea that His will be done and that He would make their path known to them.
A short while later, Amanda went to visit Mr. Perkins, the head of the school board.  She wanted to let him know that she would not be returning in the fall.  It was only fair to let him know that they would need to look for a new teacher for next year.  Besides, she had to tell him before Beth told anyone about the party.
Mr. Perkins expressed regret that Amanda would be leaving but told her that the board would be happy to write a letter of recommendation.  The board had been very pleased with her work and the students’ progress.  Amanda left the Perkins’ home well satisfied with the results of the meeting.  Returning to her cabin, she continued to pray as she prepared her evening meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment