Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Chapter Eighteen

“Hello, Jacques,” Amanda said to the Frenchman as she entered the Parker home.  Jacques was much improved and was now able to get about the rooms of the house with the aid of a crutch he had fashioned from some scraps of wood Mr. Parker had brought him.  Several weeks had passed since his accident, and Sarah said that he would be back to normal before much longer.
“Bon Jour, Mademoiselle.  Et es lovely to see your beautiful face today.”  Jacques smiled at her from his seat beside the fireplace.  “I wish to say merci – thank you – to you for all your kind care while I was ill, oui?  I have present for you. Come, see.”
“Oh, Jacques, you didn’t have to give me a present. I am just glad that you are feeling better.  Doctor Sarah says you will be back to normal in no time at all.”
Amanda walked closer to see what Jacques had in his hand.
“Jacques, they are darling!  How did you make them?  They look as if they are real!”
In Jacques’ hand were tiny animals carved from wood.  There was a rabbit, a fox, a fish, and, Amanda’s favorite, a baby fawn.
“OH, et es nothing.  I make with my knife, oui?  I have nothing to do so I ask Mr. Parker if he bring wood to me.  Et es just something to do while I sit here before the fire.  You pick the one you wish, and I give the others to Doctor Sarah, Miss Beth, and Miss Hannah to thank them for their kindness.  I will move to boarding house with Riley and Will in two days.  Mr. Parker say I can work at mill until I am stronger.  The Parkers are very nice too, oui?”
“Yes, they have been nice to you.  Thank you so much for the carvings.  I know the others will love them too.  And before you know it, you will be going to the parties again!”
Jacques smiled at her words.  Amanda already knew that he liked to flirt with the ladies.  But in truth, he was friendly to everyone.
Amanda went to find Mrs. Parker.  She had brought some beans from their garden to share.  The garden was growing so fast because of the long days and abundant rainfall.  They had been busy canning and preserving all they could and were enjoying fresh vegetables with all of their meals.
Coming back into the front room, Amanda thanked Jacques once again before leaving to go home.  Amanda had not seen anything of the Indian Maouk since the day he came into the store.  She felt he had decided to leave her alone since the men had spoken to him.  She no longer felt nervous about going around town alone; however, she still did not go out of the town and continued to cover her hair with a bonnet. 
As Amanda neared their house, she saw Hannah in front, and she waved to get her attention.  Hannah held a small basket in her hand and held it out to Amanda as she came closer.
“Mandy, did you see this when you went out?”
Amanda examined the basket and saw that it held a necklace made of trading beads.
“No, I haven’t seen if before.  Where did you find it?”
“It was right here on the doorstep when I opened the door to sweep.”
“It is unusual that someone would leave that on our doorstep.  I am used to the men leaving fish or game but I haven’t seen a necklace like this before.  Maybe we should ask one of the men about it.”
The women went into the house, and Amanda placed the basket on the shelf in the front room.
“I am so excited about teaching school in the fall.  The town leaders were very supportive when Riley suggested it to them.  I met another family today at the store on my way to the Parkers.  By my count, I should have at least twenty in my class.  I went by the store to see if Ben could get me a catalog so that I might order some more books and other supplies.  The men of the church have agreed to build a school one Saturday.  All of the people of the community will meet and they should finish it in one day.  I hope and pray that I can do a good job teaching the children all they need to know.”
Hannah assured her that she would do fine.
“Beth and Sarah have both told me what a wonderful teacher you are.  And I can tell by our Bible study times that you are a born teacher.  You have a way of making everything seem so clear.  The children will love you!”
“I hope everything works out.  We’d better get busy picking the rest of those beans if we want to have them canned by tonight.  I love having enough food so that we will have plenty for winter.  Ben told me that we would be able to get apples in the fall.  Our root cellar will be full with the potatoes and canned goods.”
The two worked all day and were just finishing with the last of the beans when Sarah and Beth came in that evening.
“It looks as if you two have been busy all day.  I am so thankful for all of my roommates!  I would starve this winter if it were up to me to cook, and I don’t think I could ever can anything!”  Sarah laughed.
“Of course, you could,” Amanda said.  “I didn’t know anything about canning when I came, but Beth and Hannah have taught me so much that I wonder why I never did it before!”
“I don’t have to work tomorrow so I can help some.  I just have to finish the dress I am making for Cora Parker.  I have several ladies who want to order dresses, but I haven’t had time to sit down with them to pick out the material or a pattern.  I expect to be busy this fall with sewing.  I don’t know if I will continue working in the fall.  I will need to help Hannah and my dressmaking business is really growing too,” Beth said.
“Do you think that Ben might let me work some in the store?  I want to be able to contribute to our supplies, and I would like to have some money of my own.  I could help you with some of the sewing too,” Hannah said.
“That would be wonderful.  I am pretty sure Ben will be agreeable, but I will ask him about it when I see him.  What else do you have to do in the garden?” Beth asked.
“We were planning to try canning tomatoes tomorrow.  I haven’t canned any before, so I will be glad of your help,” said Amanda.
“I will be glad to help.  They are easy to do, and we will be happy to have them when we make soup this winter,” Beth replied.
“Sarah, you and Beth don’t know anything about a bead necklace, do you?  It was left on our doorstep sometime this morning.  I didn’t see it when I went out, but Hannah found it while I was gone.  It was in a small basket,” Amanda said.
“No, I can’t imagine who would have left it there.  Where is it?”
Amanda went to get the tiny basket and necklace from the front room.  Sarah and Beth looked closely at the necklace but neither had seen one like it.
“This basket is like the ones the Indians make, isn’t it?” asked Sarah.
“Yes. We have them in the store.  We have the beads as well but not in necklaces.  The Indians trade pelts and other supplies for them.  Others buy them too and I have seen some of the trappers with them.  They have usually traded with the Indians for them,” said Beth.
“But why would they be on our doorstep?” asked Hannah.
“I don’t know, but I will ask someone who has lived here longer.  They might be able to give us an idea of where they came from and why.”
The women began preparing their evening meal and forgot about the beads as they visited and told about their day.  All joined in the clean up and they were soon ready for the nightly Bible study.
“I am glad that I could be here tonight.  I really miss these times of Bible study when I am out on calls,” said Sarah.
Since Sarah could not always be with them as they studied, she asked that she lead for that evening.  The others readily agreed.
Taking her Bible, she turned to Psalm 27:
‘The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.
Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.
One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to enquire in His temple.
For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion: in the secret of His tabernacle shall He hide me: He shall set me up upon a rock.
And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in His tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the Lord.
Hear, O Lord, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me.
When thou saidest, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, Lord, will I seek.
Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.
When my father and my mother forsake me, then the Lord will take me up.
Teach me Thy way, O Lord, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.
Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty.
I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait on the Lord, be of good courage, and He shall strengthen thine heart; wait, I say, on the Lord.’ (Psalm 27)

“This is a wonderful passage for times when we are fearful or lonely,” said Sarah.  “It meant so much to me when I had to leave St. Louis and travel to a strange place in order to study medicine.  There I was  - hundreds of miles from home and in a strange city.  I was the only female student and many of the others shunned me.  I felt like I did not have a friend in the world.  But the Lord sent Mandy to me to be my friend.  And I found out that, even if our earthly family is far away, we can have Christian friends near us to give us support.  We are all a part of the family of God!”
“Yes, I felt the same way when I got to Boston.” Amanda continued.  “I had never been so far north, and then the war started.  I could not have gotten home if I had tried.  I would have had to cross enemy lines.  I was worried about my family and had no way to get word to them, and they couldn’t get a letter to me for a long time.  Just when I was at my lowest, I met Sarah.  She was truly an answer to prayer.  I feel like she could be my sister.  And now our family has grown to include the two of you!”  Amanda stopped to smile at Beth and Hannah, and all four joined hands for a moment.
Beth continued, “I think this is a wonderful promise that God will always be with us and will protect us.  He will give us the strength we need in any situation. He has taken care of me thus far, and I trust that He will continue to do so.”
The women held hands as each one prayed.  They thanked God for His faithfulness and for their friendship.  They prayed that God would continue to watch over them and for His guidance in the days to come.  They rejoiced together for God’s promises of protection and for Hannah’s newly found salvation
The next morning, Hannah and Amanda rose early in order to get the chores done before starting on the job of picking, washing and canning the tomatoes.  Taking two large baskets out into the garden they were just finishing picking the last of the tomatoes when Beth came out to tell them that breakfast was ready.
“I can’t believe you have already picked all of the tomatoes.  They are so beautiful and there are so many of them!  We should be able to get several dozen jars!” Beth exclaimed.
Sarah had gone to check on Jacques so the other three women prepared the tomatoes for canning.  Although it was hard work, they were finished by lunchtime. 
Looking at the jars of bright red tomatoes cooling on the counter, Hannah cried, “I am so proud that we could get all of these done!  With all three of us, it wasn’t much trouble at all!”
After eating lunch, Hannah left to go to the community building.  She had promised to help some of the new women with their laundry.  Beth went to the front room where she was working on the dress for Cora Parker and Amanda began preparing to do their laundry.  They liked to wash clothes whenever the weather was sunny so that they would dry quickly.  With the frequent rains, they could never be assured of clear days.
The two had not worked for long when they were interrupted by a knock on the front door.  Putting aside the dress, Beth opened the door to admit Riley.
“Hi, Riley.  Why aren’t you at work?  Is everything all right?” Beth wanted to know.
“Well, yes, nothing is wrong.  Beth, I was wondering if you would go for a ride with me?  I borrowed a wagon and horse from the livery.  I thought we might go up to see my house.  It is almost ready to move into.  I wanted to talk to you about something.”
“Of course, I will be happy to talk with you.  I just need to tell Mandy where I am going.  Or did you want her to come too?” asked Beth.
“No, not this time.  I really want to talk with you by yourself if you don’t mind,” Riley answered.
Beth went into the kitchen to tell Amanda that she was going with Riley for a ride to see his new home.  Amanda put on a bright smile and told her that was fine, and Beth left without noticing that her friend’s smile was forced.  She was not aware that Amanda had overheard their conversation when Beth had answered the door.
Amanda was able to hold her smile until Beth and Riley left and then she walked to the table and sat down.  Placing her head in her hands, she prayed, “Oh, Lord, help me to be happy for Riley and Beth.  Why do I feel this way?  I knew all along that Riley was falling in love with Beth.  How could he help it?  She is so sweet and such a wonderful friend to me.  Please help me not to be jealous, Lord.  I do wish her every happiness, but it hurts me so badly to see her with Riley.’
“Lord, I tell myself that I don’t want Beth to marry a non-believer and that is true; but the truth is, I don’t want her to marry Riley.  I think I love him myself.  Oh, how will I keep that a secret from Beth?  How can I act happy for her when I feel as though my heart is breaking?  Lord, please help me with this.  I know that neither of us should marry Riley as long as he is not a Christian, but if he should accept you, Lord, help me to be happy for them both.  Help me to get over this jealousy and the hurt that I feel.  I want to be a good friend to Beth, and if she marries Riley, my feelings for him will always be in the way of our friendship.  But I can’t tell her. Lord, and I don’t think I can even tell Sarah.  She might let something slip to Beth.  Lord, what can I do?  Please give me guidance in this.” 
Laying her head on her arms, she broke down into tears, and it was several minutes before she could compose herself.
“Lord, I know You will help me,” she said resolutely.  “I’ll just put my mind on other things.”
Rising from the table, she decided to visit Estelle Taylor and to take a jar of the tomatoes with her.  She changed into a clean skirt and blouse and left for the short walk to the Taylor  home.  Amanda  arrived at the Taylor home within a few minutes, and as always Estelle was happy to see her.  Amanda did a few small chores for her and sat down for a chat.  Many in the community had offered help as soon as they found out that Estelle was confined to her bed.  Estelle usually had several visitors a day, and the community was generous with food and help with chores.
“Let me take your laundry with me.  I am going to do ours when I get home.  It won’t be any trouble to do yours at the same time.”
“Mandy, you are too good to me.  I will never be able to thank you enough for all you have done to help me – and I don’t know what I would have done without Sarah, especially on the trip.  I just feel so much better having a woman doctor!”
“We are glad to help.  And you know you would do the same for any of us,” replied Amanda.
Wishing her continued improvement in her health, Amanda went out of the door of the small house on the edge of town.  Looking toward town, she knew that she wanted a little more time alone.
“It won’t hurt to walk a bit.  I need to think about how I am going to act when Beth tells me she and Riley are getting married.  I have to act like I am happy for them both,” Amanda thought.  She prayed that she would be able to make them think that she was happy about their marriage.  Amanda was so deep in thought that she did not realize that she had gone several hundred yards into the forest on the edge of town.
Stopping for a moment, she thought of how she could smile at Beth.  Maybe she could pull that off, but she doubted if she would ever be able to smile at Riley convincingly.
Suddenly, everything went black and Amanda felt someone grab her around her middle and pick her up.  Stunned, she did nothing for a second, but she soon began to kick and fight to try to get away.  Whoever had her just held on to her tighter.  Amanda thought she had some type of blanket around her and it smelled of the fish oil that the Indians rubbed on their bodies.  Amanda’s whole body stiffened as she realized that one of the Indians must have her.  She tried to scream but the blanket got into her mouth and the taste and the smell made her feel as if she might be sick.  Still she struggled to get away until she felt a sharp blow to the side of her head and everything went dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment